Taking a day off from work can be a challenge if you don’t have any sick days left. If you are reading this article, then you are probably a Walmart employee who is trying to figure out how to report a sick day. Getting sick is always a bummer, and the inconvenience level rises when you have to deal with calling out of work. But you don’t need to worry as we have got your back with a step-by-step guide on calling in sick at Walmart. We have got all your answers ready so that you can focus more on resting and recovering timely.
How soon do you need to call in sick?
Walmart employees should ideally call in sick at least 3 hours before starting the shift. Though there isn’t any formal rule for this, you can call in as early as 24 hours in advance. You will be reported as a “no call, no show” if you don’t report your absence timely.
How to call in sick at Walmart?
- As a Walmart employee, you can call 1-800-775-5944 and choose “report an absence” following the prompt to call in sick.
- Next, you will have to provide your Walmart Identification Number (WIN), birth date, and Walmart store number.
- On approval of your leave of absence, you will get a confirmation number. Write it down using a pen and paper.
- Finally, call the Walmart store at least 3 hours before your shift and inform your co-workers you won’t be able to show up for your shift. Make sure to mention your reason for absence and also provide them with a tentative time and date when you will be able to return to work. You will also have to provide them with your contact details and location if they need to get in touch with you.
Alternatively, you can report your absence using the OneWalmart app or website rather than calling over the phone. This is extremely helpful as you can report the leaves at any time of the day or night. You need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Login to your OneWalmart employee account with your birthdate, WIN, and store number.
- Navigate to the Report absence menu and choose from among the three options to determine the nature of reporting. Here you will also be required to explain the reason for not showing up for your shift.
- Finally, employees need to select from the list of injuries and symptoms they are currently suffering from before clicking on Submit.
What do you need handy before calling in sick?
- Your Walmart Identification Number (WIN)
- Your birthdate
- Your Walmart store location number
How to call in sick out-of-hours at Walmart?
Irrespective of the time of day you can call in sick to Walmart by logging into your OneWalmart account (one.walmart.com) using either the application or the website and clicking on “report an absence.” The business hours at Walmart are from 8 AM to 5 PM. Employees need to enter their WIN, date of birth, and store number before explaining the reasons behind their absence alongside the injury or illness symptoms in detail.
What is the maximum number of times for calling in sick?
One penalty point is charged against your attendance each time you call in sick. Employees are charged half a point for being more than 10 minutes late or leaving more than 10 minutes early. Employees who have worked for just six months or less at Walmart will be terminated on receiving just 4 points. On being employed at Walmart for six or more months, you will be terminated on earning 9 points. However, these points are dropped off six months after you receive them. You can thus call in sick four times every six months and get away without being penalized. But 4 penalty points can make you ineligible for getting a raise. The attendance penalty points are double on holidays. Thus, you will receive 2 penalty points in the place of 1 if you call in sick on Memorial Day, Labor Day, or other big holidays. You will accrue PTO or paid time off after working at Walmart for more than 90 days. This can be used to compensate for sick leave absences.
What if you don’t inform your sick leave?
If you don’t report your absence by calling the designated number and also don’t show up for your shift, then you will be considered a “no call, no show.” This will result in 2 attendance penalty points being charged against you. You will be at risk of getting fired by Walmart on receiving 5 penalty points whereas 4 points make you ineligible for the annual raise.
Can Walmart employees get prolonged leave for sickness?
You can always request a leave of absence if you are dealing with a terminal medical condition or prolonged sickness. For initiating the process, you will have to log into your my Sedgwick or call 800-492-5678 and go through the prompts to request an+ LOA or leave of absence. Sedgwick will review your leave request and inform you of confirmation. On being approved, employees will be eligible for Walmart’s Paid Family Leave up to a maximum ceiling of 12 weeks. Ideally, you should submit the requests for such prolonged leaves 30 days in advance. The Intermittent Leave offered by Walmart to employees can be used for injuries, illnesses, or other qualifying causes which make them miss work very often. You will have to report these leaves at least 2 days in advance. On being eligible, associates can take a maximum of two days of leave per month. Employees need to submit a doctor’s note if their leave lasts for more than three days.
How many sick leaves can a Walmart employee take?
If you reside in a state where the Paid Sick Leave law is applicable, then you are entitled to accrue paid sick leave. However, the number of days depends on the state in which you are working. The state of Connecticut allows 56 hours of paid sick leave to employees every year whereas, in California, the employees are entitled to 24 hours of paid sick leave each year. You can either check the Walmart PSL policy or contact your HR department to find out the number of sick days you can have.
What are the tips for calling in sick at Walmart?
- Report your absence at least three hours before your shift begins. Thus, if you are scheduled to start working from 11 AM, then you need to inform within 8 AM. But if it’s a sudden illness, then you should inform the store about your absence immediately.
- Report your absences by calling either 1-800-775-5944 between 08:00 to 17:00 or through the OneWalmart app throughout the day. You should report your absence to Walmart corporate as a courtesy even after calling the store directly.
- Assume that your absence wasn’t reported properly and you need to try again if you don’t receive a confirmation number. You will receive a confirmation number proving that your leave of absence was reported properly.
- It’s very thoughtful to directly call the store and let them know you won’t be able to attend the shift though there isn’t any compulsion for it.
- Always be polite with the customer service representative as they confirm your information. If they can’t help, then maybe some other department might work for you.
- Also, provide them with your name and number so that they can contact you easily if and when required.
What happens if you are late in calling in sick?
Walmart employees are penalized if they are late in calling in sick. Your manager might ask you to come in for a meeting and discuss your attendance. You might even earn ‘warning points’ and on earning between 5-9 warning points, you might end up losing your Myshare bonus or get terminated from the company. You should call in sick when you are sick and doing otherwise is considered fraud and can lead to disciplinary action.
Do Walmart employees get paid sick leave?
Walmart follows the Paid Sick Leave law but the terms vary from one state to another. Currently, the law is applicable in Texas, Connecticut, Maryland, New York, Washington, New Jersey, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Illinois, Rhode Island, Oregon, Michigan, Vermont, and Massachusetts. This law applies to full-time, part-time, and even temporary associates on both hourly and salaried contracts.
What is the attendance policy at Walmart?
A rule has been issued by the Labor department prohibiting employers from disciplining workers who are on family leaves. Many employees might still be disciplined if they don’t report to work after being informed of their absence through any approved notification method. The Walmart attendance policy varies from store to store. While some might fire employees for any missed work without warning, others give a warning after two to three absences in a row.
Is there any difference between intermittent leave for a full-time and part-time employee?
If you are a part-time employee working less than 20 hours a week, then your employer isn’t under obligation to provide paid leave under the provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). There are a few exceptions to this rule. Walmart might offer employees at least 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA leave per year if their weekly work is equivalent to or exceeds 30 hours. It is also obligatory for employers like Walmart to offer employees 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA leave since they have more than 50 employees.
When can a Walmart employee use their FMLA leave?
- Serious health conditions making them unable to work.
- Placing their child for foster care or adoption.
- Caring for an adult family member suffering from a serious health problem rendering them unable to work or for someone unable to take care of themselves because of physical or mental disability.
- Caring for an injured or seriously ill family member if the illness or injury began within 12 months before the family member required care.
- Recovering from a serious health condition that makes them unable to work.
What is Walmart’s Leave of Absence rules?
The company offers three types of leave of absence for its associates:
- A Walmart associate is eligible for an FMLA leave if they have worked for a minimum of 1250 hours or 12 months before requesting their leave of absence.
- Personal leaves can be taken by Walmart associates for certain qualifying reasons.
- Employees will be eligible for military leave if they are in the military or on active duty. Walmart will also compensate its employees for the difference if their military pay is less than Walmart’s pay.
Can you call in sick at Walmart using PTO?
Yes, you can use accrued PTO to receive paid sick leave.
What is a WIN?
Walmart Identification Number is used to identify a Walmart employee for things like benefits, sick leave, etc. This unique number is assigned to every Walmart employee for identifying them whenever they report an absence or call in sick. You can find your WIN by checking the latest pay stub or asking your manager.
Can employees call their manager or a co-worker instead of following the traditional method?
No, all Walmart employees and associates need to follow Walmart’s call-in-sick procedure. They will first have to call 1-800-775-5944 and follow the prompts. Once your leave is approved, employees will be provided a confirmation code for being shared with the manager so that they can fill in your vacant position on that shift with someone.
If you are feeling under the weather, then it’s best to rest at home. The last thing you would want before taking a leave of absence is to stress about how to go with it. App-based and automated telephone sick leave reporting systems have made calling in sick pretty easy for Walmart employees. Though employees won’t get in any trouble in emergencies, this is dependent on your past punctuality. If you get sick days on a weekly or monthly basis, this surely won’t go unnoticed. Having a good relationship with your manager can also be helpful as they might excuse some of your absence if it gets near termination levels. As long as you stick to the policy and don’t overdo sick leaves, you won’t have to worry about major consequences.