Verizon offers discounts now and then on its products and services for selected groups of people. The latest addition is a lucrative discount for teachers from this wireless provider which can help them ring in massive savings. The teacher discount is offered on both Fios Home Internet and Verizon cell phone plans in 2022. However, the discount amount will be determined by the number of phones on your account and your chosen Home Internet service. If you have one phone, then you can save $10 monthly per account while teachers with 2 to 3 phones on their account can save approximately $25 per month per account and the ones having more than 4 phones can save $20 monthly per account. Teachers can qualify for the discount only after signing up for any one of these below mentioned Unlimited Plans:
- 5G Start
- 5G Play More
- 5G Do More
- 5G Get More
- Play More Unlimited
- Do More Unlimited
- Get More Unlimited
- Just Kids Plan (requires an Unlimited Data Plan with a parental line)
Both existing and new Verizon customers can sign up for the Verizon teacher discount. Teachers can avail of discounts on their monthly phone bills with the discount plan. Coupled with this discount plan, teachers will only have to pay $30 monthly for their Verizon phone bill. However, the price can range up to $50 monthly on choosing the 5G Get More plan.
What are the eligibility criteria for the discount?
- You should currently be employed as a teacher ranging from kindergarten to 12 or a post-secondary instructor.
- You should validate your employment during discount registration.
- You need to have the unlimited plan on 1 phone.
- You should either be the account owner or manager.
- You need to yearly re-validate the account.
- You should have applied for the discount online using Discounts by Verizon.
Steps for registering with Verizon Teacher Discount
If you already have a qualifying unlimited plan, then you can simply sign up for the discount by validating your teaching status. This can be done by choosing “Check Eligibility” from the “Get your Teachers discount” section. If you don’t have a qualifying unlimited plan, you can visit the “My Plan” page in “My Verizon” online or open the menu in the top left of the “My Verizon” app and tap on “Account” followed by “My Plan.” You can sign up by choosing “Existing Customers” from the teacher’s page when you have an active unlimited plan. Users can register for the teacher’s discount before getting a qualifying unlimited plan. However, you can avail of the discount on activating a qualifying plan on your account.
If you are not a Verizon customer, then you will have to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Navigate to the Verizon Teachers page and click on “Enroll to get your discount” followed by “learn more.”
- To begin the process, you need to select “verify your eligibility.” Here you need to type in your ID.me credentials. You might have to primarily create an ID.me account if you don’t already have one.
- Once your credentials have been verified by ID.me, you will be automatically redirected to the Discounts by Verizon page.
- You can initiate the discount sign-up process by selecting either the “New to Verizon” or “Existing Customer” option.
Teachers shall have to upload a document to verify their employment if their work email isn’t working during the signing up process on Discounts by Verizon. Criteria of the documents that you need to upload to qualify for the teacher discount are:
- The date and name of the company need to be visible.
- Proof of employment document cannot exceed 60 days.
- Teachers can block out sensitive personal credentials like their salary and other banking details.
- The document size cannot exceed 5MB.
- The document should be in TIF, PNG, JPG, GIF, PDF, or JPEG format.
Teachers residing in certain states shall have to upload a teaching certificate which might be requested during the verification.
How to determine whether the teacher discount was accepted?
You can keep track of the sign-up process by clicking on “Check My Submission Status” and entering the required information. At times it can take up to 10 days for the discount validation especially if you had to submit documents. However, a notice will be sent from Verizon once the validation process has been completed. You can follow the below-mentioned steps to view the discount quickly using the “My Verizon” app on getting the validation:
- Choose “Bill” from the main menu.
- Navigate to “Current Bill” and click on “Account Charges.”
- For viewing the discount details hit the “+” sign.
For viewing the other discounts on the My Verizon website, you can undertake the following steps:
- Choose “Discount” and click on “Plan” from the dropdown menu.
- Navigate to the bottom and click on “Promotions and Discounts.”
You might not be able to see other discounts during the first month as it often takes up to 2 billing cycles for the discount to be applied to your account.
FAQs related to Verizon Teacher Discount
1. Do you need to have a smartphone for benefitting from the Verizon Teacher Discount?
No, this plan is applicable on both basic phones and smartphones. So, you don’t need to buy a smartphone for availing yourself of the discount.
2. Does Verizon offer a discount to teachers for Fios?
Yes, Verizon is currently offering a discount to teachers for Fios Home Internet. This can help users ring in savings between $5-15 monthly depending on the Fios Home Internet plan chosen. Teachers can get the 200 Mbps plan for $35 monthly after the $5 discount whereas the 400 Mbps plan will cost $54.99 monthly after a $10 discount. For the biggest, Verizon Home Internet service, teachers will have to pay just $74.99 per month after a $15 discount and enjoy a 940/880-gigabit connection. Fios is currently available in the key metro areas of New Jersey, Maryland, New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Washington DC.
3. Do teachers need to renew their discount?
Verizon might ask teachers to renew their discount plan once a year. You will have 30 days to respond to and revalidate your employment status from the date of receipt of the renewal notice. On failure to respond within the set time frame, the discount will be removed. However, you can get back the discount by revalidating your employment status.
4. Can spouses benefit from the Verizon teacher discount?
No, this discount is only applicable for currently employed teachers who are either the manager or owner of their Verizon account and doesn’t apply to spouses.
5. Can retired teachers avail of the Verizon teachers discount?
No, only currently-employed teachers are eligible for this discount although Verizon might broaden their eligibility criteria in days to come and include retired teachers under the scope.
6. Can a veteran qualify for a military discount clubbed with a teacher’s discount?
No, only one of these discounts can be enjoyed at a time.
7. Can I get other discounts alongside the teacher’s discount?
Yes, you might be eligible for other discounts depending on your plan including the ones mentioned below:
- discovery+ on us
- The Disney Bundle
- Disney+ on us
- Mobile + Home Rewards
- Monthly Auto Pay and paper-free billing discount
Verizon recognizes the tremendous contribution of those engaged in the education industry and this discount plan is a way of celebrating these people who are working tirelessly for building a better tomorrow. Verizon is an accredited provider of TV, internet and phone services that acts as an important resource for schools and the teaching staff. Coupled with its discount plans, school staff can exercise greater efficiency both at school and at home. However, the discount is available only to educators whose employing school has a contract with Verizon.